Saturday, November 29, 2008

The quote that helped me grow into a man

“Excuses are tools of the incompetent built upon mounds of nothingness”. This quote was said to me by my social studies teacher, Mr. Jones. Throughout my middle school years I wasn’t the best student. I wasn’t really bad, but I just wasn’t performing at the level that I could. Every day in class when it was time to hand in homework I would have this beautiful story of all the OTHER things that I had to do and how tired I was. In reality I didn’t have anything to do, I just spent all night watching “The Simpson’s”. One day, I come in the class and Mr. Jones started to collect the homework. When he got to me I was ready. After I told him about my little brother getting in trouble and me needing to talk to him, Mr. Jones walked over to the board and wrote the first quote that I ever took seriously. I didn’t quite understand it at first but after he explained it to me I realized that if I didn’t change now, the nothingness that he spoke about would take over my life.
This quote means that only those that are incapable of performing well use excuses to support their inactions. I came to the understanding that I am capable of anything; therefore, there should be no excuses from me whatsoever. This quote is important to me because it helped me learn to take responsibility for my action or inactions, rather than making excuses to make them easier to deal with or lighten the consequences. This quote helped me become a man.

No comments: