Saturday, November 29, 2008

WHAT MAKES ME, ME


For 18 years, I have searched for my meaning in life. Throughout my life there were many things that influenced my actions and decisions. My dad left when I was nine years old so when it comes to important points in my life, the “dad era” wasn’t one of them. The breadwinner at 456 Vermont was my mom. After my dad left she took on the role of mother and father. She put her health on the line to make sure that me and my brothers didn’t have to face the worst. She worked 3 jobs to support us. When I entered middle school her hard work was catching up with her.
At the age of 11, my mom’s health took a nose dive. At this time, I felt as though I had to step up to the plate and be the man that she needed or at least give her that extra support that she longed for. In order to do this, I had to learn to cook and clean. Since daddy wasn’t there to take care of her, I decided that I would. And from that point on, I swore to myself that I would never leave her side. But, I now realize that the best thing that I can do for my mom is to leave her and become the man that she wants me to be. Because I was put into a position to become a man at a young age I couldn’t really learn much from my peers, therefore my role model was always the men that effected my life in the most positive ways.
I realized the man that I wanted to be through the examples of two brilliant men. Their names are Mr. Edey and Mr. Yard. These men thought me what it meant to be a man in today’s society. Because I didn’t have a dad around I used them as an example of what a real male figure is suppose to be. They taught me all the lesson and morals that I would need to survive in this world. Before they sat me down and helped me grow up I would put other before myself, not realizing that I had to please myself as well. These men helped show me that if I looked out for myself than it would be much more easier to please others. All of these circumstances and influences helped me to become who I am today. I am now enrolled in St. Johns University, with hopes to graduate top in my class. I am pursuing a major in psychology. I have 3 main goals in life, prove doubters wrong, prove myself right, and make my mom proud.

No comments: